A lot of projects and programs have failed to have the impacts they were designed to have because they did not incorporate GIS in their project operations. A geographical information system (GIS) is a collection of hardware software, and procedures to collect, manage, retrieve, manipulate, analyze and display spatial data. This training workshop will equip participants with the ability to perform multi criteria analysis of WASH, model wash projects, identify Most at Risk Populations, use GIS as a monitoring tool for WASH activities in line with SPHERE minimum standards.
WASH specialists, M & E Experts, Public health, Program Manager, Students and Risk assessors, water engineers.
What you will learn
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Use GIS as monitoring tool for WASH projects Activities
- Familiarize with spatial data availability
- Appreciate the role of Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) in WASH programs
- Use participatory GIS (PGIS) at community level
- Conduct water and sanitation modeling using GIS
- Collect data using Mobile data gathering tools
- Carry out basic data analysis using statistical software’s
- Integrate GIS within new and existing WASH activities.
Introduction and definition of concepts
- Reviewing WASH concepts
- Introduction to GIS concepts
- Components of GIS Systems
- GIS functions and capabilities in the context of WASH
- Spatial data concepts & Spatial Data Infrastructure in WASH
Introduction to GIS Software (QGIS)
- Developing standard procedures and guidelines
- Integrating GPS field data into the GIS database
- Facilitated Field exercises in GPS Data Collection for WASH
- Managing and manipulating GIS Data
- Working with tabular data in GIS
- Facilitated practical exercises in working with tabular data in Excel format
- Introduction to Spatial databases
- Facilitated Practical exercises in working with spatial Databases (Geo-databases)
Mobile Based Data Collection in WASH
- Introduction to ODK
- Setting up ODK
- Designing a wash data collection form in kobo forms
- Setting up ODK collect in mobile phone and linking the ODK collect to ODK
- Collecting data using kobo collect
- Uploading and managing data within kobo toolbox
Case studies and demonstration on various GIS based on project’s data
- GIS as a tool for WASH
- Facilitated Practical exercises in working with GIS Data
- Using GIS in Impact assessment analysis
Case study: GIS and Remote Sensing as a tool in monitoring WASH projects
Development and presentation of maps
- GIS Mapping
- Styling and symbolization
- Cartography and use of Legends
- Mapping resources/Project activities
Facilitated practical exercises in map making and presentation using project data
- Basic analysis and Geo processing
- Introduction to Geo-processing
- Facilitated Practical exercises in Geo-processing
|Weekdays||09:00 AM — 01:00 PM|
|No. of Days:||5|
|No. of Participants:||10|
Upskill Development Institute is a leading provider of training, research and consultancy services to international organizations. We assist our clients to improve their skills and confident by offering the best possible solutions to enable them fulfil their objectives for a sustainable result. We strive to improve the quality and accessibility of the training by creating an environment that ensures successful learning from start to finish.
Choosing an institution that supports your needs and understands your goals can be a challenge. We aim to eliminate this overwhelming process by providing you with high-quality solutions and courses that fully encompass the shifting tides of the different fields.
Our aim is to provide our participants with a supportive atmosphere that embraces their needs and objectives as learners. With unique goals and a leading team of advisors and skilled trainer onhand, we create positive pathways through our short training solutions.
To be the most prominent training, research and consultancy services provider, delivering exceptional training programs, consultancy services and post training support that assist organization fulfil their objectives for a sustainable result to the community. ...