The course is designed for professionals who require knowledge and skills on the use of GIS and RS in their organization in the field of disaster management. Participants are welcome from a broad range of organizations including physical planning, institutions, professionals and private GIS and RS related firms.
This course is job oriented and aims to impact practical skills on how to use GIS and RS to overcome the major challenges faced in pre-disasters during disaster and post-disaster management such as during early warning, hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment, damage assessment, as well as in the design of risk reduction measures.
Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Describe and utilize spatial data, GIS and remote sensing in disaster risk assessment and management
- Utilize existing sources of historical disaster information and elements at risk data
- Apply GIS/remote sensing in hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment
- Employ risk information in emergency preparedness planning
- Visualize hazard and risk information
- Apply GIS/remote sensing to post-disaster damage assessment
Participants should know how to use Windows-based software for basic file management and browsing.
In-House training for these courses can be arranged, and we are open to conducting the course in the client's premises / country.