This is an introductory Python programming course which provides a strong foundation that would allow students to further their skills with additional education. The course begins with an overview of Python and quickly has students building simple applications. Python syntax, including function and module design is considered. File consumption and exception handling are also included early in the class. In addition, there is an examination of using different data types. Toward the end of the course fundamental object-oriented concepts are addressed, as well as database connectivity and GUI (graphical user interface) development.
This course is intended for new developers or developers who wish to transition to the Python platform. For those that are new, Python makes an excellent first programming language
Before attending this course, it is recommended that students:
- Have basic computer navigation skills
- Prior programming experience is not necessary, but it can help to put these topics in perspective
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the different types of Python applications
- Recognize source code for a console application
- Use the interactive shell
- Manage source files
- Fix both syntax and runtime errors
- Compile and run a program
- Code statements, add comments, and organize code into functions
- Name and assign values to variables
- Author expressions
- Include special characters
- Use predefined Python functions
- Use relational and logical operators
- Code and nest if statements
- Use loops
- Create and call functions
- Provide arguments for functions
- Use standard modules
- Plan functions in a program with hierarchy charts
- Gain techniques for debugging more easily, including setting breakpoints
- Create, sort, and use lists of one or multiple dimensions
- Create and use tuples
- Read, write, and manage files – both text and binary
- Work, in great detail, with various string, numeric, and date/time types
- Define a custom class
- Create objects based on a custom class
- Use proper encapsulation within a class definition
- Define and establish an inheritance relationship between classes
- Implement polymorphism
- Understand relational database organization
- Use SQL to retrieve or manipulate data
- Use SQLite to connect and interact with a database
- Test database code and handle exceptions
- Create a GUI (graphical user interface), including a root window
- Handle graphical events such as a button click
- Visually lay out graphical components in a grid
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with an Indepth Research Institute (IRES) certificate certified by the National Industrial Training Authority (NITA).
The training will be held at IRES Training Centre. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments and lunch.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accomodation and Airport Pickup
Accommodation and airport pickup are arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
This training can also be customized to suit the needs of your institution upon request. You can have it delivered in our IRES Training Centre or at a convenient location.
Module 1: An introduction to Python
- Introduction to Python
- How to use IDLE to develop programs
Module 2: How to write your first program
- Basic coding skills
- How to work with data types and variables
- How to work with numeric data
- How to work with string data
- How to use five of the Python functions
Module 3 :How to code control statements
- How to code boolean expressions
- How to code the selection structure
- How to use the iteration structure
Module 4: How to define and use functions and modules
- How to define and use functions
- More skills for defining and using functions
- How to create and use modules
- How to use standard modules
- How to plan the functions of a program
Module 5: How to test and debug a program
- An introduction to testing and debugging
- Four techniques for testing and debugging
- How to use the IDLE debugger
Module 6: How to work with lists and tuples
- Basic skills for working with lists
- How to work with a list of lists
- More skills for working with lists
- How to work with tuples
Module 7: How to work with file I/0
- An introduction to file I/O
- How to use text files
- How to use CSV files
- How to use binary files
Module 8: How to handle exceptions
- How to handle a single exception
- How to handle multiple exceptions
Module 9: How to work with numbers
- Basic skills for working with numbers
- How to format numbers
- How to work with decimal numbers
Module 10: How to work with strings
- Basic skills for working with strings
- How to split and join strings
Module 11: How to work with dates and times
- How to get started with dates and times
- More skills for working with dates and times
IRES offers technical and management consultancy services as well as education and training services designed for individuals’ and groups from organizations working in public, not for profit and private sectors.
IRES Kenya has identified itself with a niche market that largely comprises of Government ministries, departments and agencies (MDA’s) and UN agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations, from Africa, Europe, Asia, Middle-East and the Caribbean. We have also served academic institutions, international research organizations, financial institutions and private companies from across the globe. As at 2018 we offer our services in more than 15 locations globally.
Our technical and management consultancy services are in the areas of Agriculture, Education, Energy, Oil and gas, Health, Environment and natural resources, ICT for development, spatial planning, Governance, Management and leadership, communication, transport, revenue management, marketing development and environment among others.
Our education and training services are aimed helping individuals improve their professional knowledge, competence, skill, and effectiveness and enable the institutions to get the best out of their workforce. This is achieved through conducting high impact professional diploma and certificate courses, short courses, conferences, workshops and seminars. ...